Thursday, January 15, 2009

Angels were Watching

Today flight 1549 landed in the Hudson river after birds struck it, hitting both engines. 155 people were on board and they all survived. The pilot was told to go to an airport in NJ, but he couldn't make it. Surrounded by buildings, houses and downtown Manhattan, he went for the river. He brought it down. Under control and the plane didn't bounce. It didn't shatter. He landed it perfectly. Perfect. Everyone pretty much walked away. Ferries came to rescue the people, dropping them life vests and a knife to cut away the raft from the sinking plane. I am absolutely amazed.

It was a miracle. It is a miracle.

I was walking the lake today with the dogs. I had nine dogs and a busy mind. While I was gathering myself together. Got my crazy pink hat. Doggie poo pags. Coat. Keys to lock the car. Phone. Yup got it. I saw a guy close to us cross the street to go run. He had a blue shirt on and moved easily. The dogs and I crossed the street and they peed and off we went.

A quarter of the way into the walk, I realize "Shit! I left the keys on the top of the unlocked nasty stinky smelly dog car. Shit. Who would want that car anyway? But why make it easy?" I have nine dogs who need to be walked around the lake, to make them tired. I am a slave to structure for them. For me. Oooh should I go back? Risk it? It will probably be fine, but SHIT!

I looked up from thinking and I saw him. The runner in blue. He had his ipod on. He was sweaty and close to done, unless he planned to make more than one lap. He was paying attention, because I caught his eye. "Excuse me! Hey, I saw you start back there, you are almost done, right?" He pulled his earphones out to hear me. He looked at me to hear me. He wasn't even annoyed and he listened. I told him what I had done. He listened. I asked him if he wouldn't mind hiding them. "Oh sure. What kind of car do you have? Do you want me to put them under a tire or something?"

"If you could put them under the driver's seat, that would be awesome."
"Do you want me to leave it unlocked?" he asked, being thoughtful of the obvious.
"Yeah, that would be great. No one will really want to steal that car, I promise."

He smiled and nodded and "No problem." I thanked him profusely and smiled and Thank you and continued on our walk. I immediately forgot all about it. When we got to the car, I loaded the dogs and looked underneath the drivers seat. My keys were there.

I smiled. Smiled at a very sweet act of kindness. It was small, but incredibly meaningful to me. I was in need. I asked for help. I got it. He was a sweet spirit who was paying attention, who listened and did something kind. I don't know his name, but I am so grateful.

I will do my best to pay attention to small needs and do what I can to help, because it all matters. Sometimes the smaller kindnesses matter more.


It is also not lost on me that while rolling tonight, a shin from a leg belonging to another roll, landed perfectly across my face. It breezed to a halt, hovering over me. Any more movement and probably would have a broken nose. Everyone stopped and realized what a lucky miss that was. I am grateful for it.

After today though, I don't believe in lucky misses. The plane was landed perfectly. My keys were saved, as was my nose and I am convinced that today was a beautiful miracle of days. The Angels were out in full force today and they did an Awesome job.

No comments:

Post a Comment